10.09.2011

5 tips for better communication with your multinational / international team

One of the most interesting things when you work in a multi-national environment in that you normally don’t see the most frequent misunderstandings coming. While we are all very careful about respecting different backgrounds and making comments about any of them, the ‘lost in translation’ misunderstanding is always unexpected and unpredictable. This is the kind of situation where you are the native and you deal with non natives who happen to translate an expression literally. And the literal translation is at the very least offensive. It is only that being a native you never realised before.

A few years ago, when I leaded a multinational team made of people from all over Europe, I asked one of my direct reports to do something for me. He resisted a little and I said very sweetly in a very girlie way, ‘come on, please, do it for me’. To my surprise we came back to me in a very angry way. He asked me why I was treating him so disrespectfully. Obviously I did not mean to treat him disrespectfully but what is worse I did not understand why I was being disrespectful when I requested his help in such a sweet and girlie way. He clarified: you have said ‘walk and do it’. I said that I actually said ‘come one, please, do it for me’. He insisted ‘that is not what you said’. And then I realised! In my native Spanish if you translate literally the girlie way I said ‘come on’ it is definitely ‘walk and do it’. However, for natives, that expression is the softest and less formal way you can get to say ‘come on’ without sounding bossy. So obviously, apart from explaining the expression and apologising, I made a mental note to never ever use it again with a foreigner. And I was grateful for the privilege of being told. In most cases, if you are the manager, people won’t tell you. They will just start showing indifference and lack of rapport.

So when it comes to communicate to your multinational team, how can you reduce the occurrence of  ‘lost in translation’:
v  Speak slowly, the slower you speak the most likely it is for foreigner to understand you. Don’t forget they need more time to process and more time to elaborate questions. Give them their time.
v  Apply an open policy. If you are comfortable with it, acknowledge the richness of the international mixture, the possibility of misunderstandings and let them know if they need you to speak slower, rephrase something or some clarification, they can stop you any time and you will repeat things as many times as needed. Shy people will start talking and you will build respect within your team. Bosses who present themselves as supportive, open and not know_it_all are more respected by their teams.
v  Reduce your use of slang. Some literal translations might be offensive or at the very least confusing. If you want your team to move in the right direction, explain things plainly with standard non street vocabulary. The ‘happy go lucky’ or a ‘big fish in a small pond’ is obvious for you and for Google but might not be for your team.
v  Hold one to one meetings, especially if you are managing a change of procedure, line of work or policy. If you want to make sure everybody understood how to move forward in your last meeting, there is nothing like a 10 minute one-to-one session. Shy people will speak up, objections will appear and any misunderstanding will be easily solved.
v  Celebrate the international mixture and richness. Acknowledge the variety of ideas and points of views and help you team members in improving their language skills if they ask for any clarification. Some subtleties of the language are not in grammar books and they will be grateful forever for your help.
v  And above all, enjoy it! Any misunderstandings are always fun stories to share with your friends at the pub and the experience, the exposure and the openness of mind you get is priceless.

And if you want any help, the ‘Just Diversified’ package at Sky Ladder Coaching, will definitely make a difference in your management of multinational teams. Check out the details at: www.skyladdercoaching.com or alternatively email me at nel.rivero@skyladdercoaching.com
Nel Rivero


International Corporate & Executive Coach 

@ Sky Ladder Coaching 

The Sky is the limit, getting there is up to you!

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario